Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Where have all the beggars gone!?

Technically I haven’t been here long enough to know if there have ever been beggars here, but considering the amount of immigrant workers, you’d think SOMEBODY is out there begging. I have not seen an outstretched hand here once, but lots of people look like they could use some extra cash. Hhmmm…maybe it’s pride? Or maybe they should just beg for soap? The working population doesn’t live well at all and their access to water is limited. I can’t imagine what it must be like to only have limited daily access to water and maybe be able to shower once a week.

So I’m still cynical. It hasn’t gotten better at all. I hate that a qatari’s life is worth more than mine here. I hate the heat, you literally can’t walk anywhere without having your clothes getting wet. Yes…WET with sweat. Without ANY exaggeration, I had to peel my shirt off yesterday after walking outside for less than 5 minutes. I hate the way people judge. The middle-eastern mentality x1gazillion is getting to me. I hate that women cover their face and take the niqaab off when it suits them. I hate the underlying sexual undertone you can’t escape unless you are dealing with a real westerner. SERIOUSLY! Why is it that western men GET that men and women can be friends. JUST friends. They can talk, hang out, be workout buddies and THAT’S IT!??? It’s sooooooo frustrating!!! Everyone knows I’m spoken for, so there have been no advances, but I can tell that behaviors that no one would notice back home would get people whispering here.

I meet people here who have spent time in Canada and the US, they consider themselves western, but I STILL see their eyes falter when they ask me my fiance’s nationality and follow up with: “are you muslim!?”, “do your parents know!?”, “are you going to serve porc or alcohol at your wedding!?”, “is he going to come and live with you before you get married!?”, “do you pray!?”. This quasi-wahabi land is starting to get to me. Can you tell?

I’m gonna get off that topic now cause I feel I am at a boiling point. Let’s talk about shopping. I went to one of the malls here, called City Centre. Not bad. The quality isn’t in all the stores but all the major brand names are there. From MAC to Swarovski. So I’m not gonna complain about product availability too much.

Work is moving on. I can’t believe how fast I’ve gotten used to free food and drink all day. The idea of a company cafeteria or vending machines is starting to blow my mind. It’s pretty capitalist if you think about it really :P

I’ve been thinking about honeymoon destinations, any ideas people? I thought Disneyworld would be great guaranteed fun but now it just looks boring. I dunno. Considering the wedding is in early September and I have a MAJOR launch in the Qatar the following month, I wanna make sure Alex and I spend some serious relaxing time, but I also want to sight see and discover places with him, you know!? The invites aren’t out yet, so maybe I shouldn’t worry about it too much for now.

4 comments:

charmaine said...

I really enjoyed Disneyworld as a kid, but I too would find it a bit boring as an adult, particularly for a special trip like this. Besides, it's an artificial environment, and I'm sure you'll have had quite enough of 'fake' after living in the Gulf. Sorry, I really couldn't resist ;-) If it were me, I would pick Paris. It's the most romantic city in the world, and they named it after you and everything!

Bride-to-Be said...

god i love you charmina for knowing they named paris after me!! :P seriously. i love the idea. lets see what alex thinks

Anonymous said...

I think Italy is fabulous for a honeymoon! It's so much fun and it has everything: big cities, small towns, amazing food, beautiful landscapes...I could go on and on...

Anonymous said...

I think Paris would be magical my love, and maybe we can take a little flight to Italy, and go sightseeing the old city. But before flying off to Europe, we need to go to Luxor, where I will make sweet tender... chocolate chip cookies under the sun to you, I mean for you... ;-0